- Entries for the Best Self-Produced CD are permitted by Blues Foundation Affiliated Organizations only.
- Each Affiliate is permitted one entry.
- The CD entered may be recorded and performed by an act other than is entered in the current year’s International Blues Challenge.
- Compilations are not eligible.
- Only CDs released between November 1, 2016 and October 31, 2017 are eligible for consideration as The 2018 Best Self-Produced CD.
- While we encourage a competition at the Affiliate level to determine the CD it will sponsor for Best Self-Produced CD, we do not require one. If an Affiliate does not conduct a competition to determine who it will sponsor but instead appoints a CD, that CD may not include a board member or officer of the sponsoring Affiliated organization.
- A performer who has previously been nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition. A CD issued in the name of an otherwise eligible performer which also includes the contributions of a Blues Music Award nominee may be ineligible, depending on the extent of the contribution. Please contact The Blues Foundation directly to confirm eligibility.
- A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition.
- Judging will take place in three rounds. Judges will remain anonymous in order to protect them from outside influences and represent a cross-section of professionals from the blues radio and print industry. The final results will be announced at the finals of the International Blues Challenge on Saturday, January 20, 2018 held at the historic Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, TN.
Judges will evaluate each submitted CD on the following characteristics. The criteria considered are listed in order of importance.
(1) Blues Content
(2) Musical Performance
(3) Audio Quality and Production Value of the Recording
(4) Professionalism and Visual Appearance of Cover Art and Design
(5) Credits and Liner Note Information.
CDs must be submitted directly by current Blues Foundation Affiliated organizations only. Affiliates must submit 4 copies of their selection to The Blues Foundation offices by the publicized deadline. In order for a CD to be considered for this award, the submission package must include a note on Affiliate letterhead stating the name of the artist and title of the CD being submitted for consideration.
2005 – Crazy, Cryin’ Blues by Robin Rogers (Tie)
2005 – Silver Bird by Collard Greens & Gravy (Tie)
2006 – Back in Bluesville by Roxy Perry
2007 – We are Mighty Lester by Mighty Lester Band
2008 – Sophisticated Ladies by Sue Palmer & Her Motel Swing Orchestra
2009 – Hollerin’ by Nathan James & Ben Hernandez
2010 – Crime Scene Queen by The Informants (Tie)
2010 – Fire it Up! by Laurie Morvan Band (Tie)
2011 – Get Inside This House by Joe McMurrian, Cascade Blues Association
2012 – Where I’m Coming From… by Dave Keller, Rhode Island Rhythm and Blues Preservation Society
2013 – Solo Recordings by Steve Hill, Montreal Blues Society
2014 – Account to Me, by Hank Mowery, West Michigan Blues Society
2015 – Cryin’ Mercy, by Altered Five Blues Band, Grafton Blues Association
2016 – Blues in a Bottle by Rob Lumbard, Central Iowa Blues Society
2017 – High Temperature by J.W. Jones, Ottawa Blues Society